Sunday 29 August 2010

Apples...

So, here goes for my Second Post. I thought id start off small, just something a little bit everyday, but yet something ive always enjoyed, gathering wild foods. The order of the day was Apples as we have just run out of apple sauce, so after asking the right kind of questions to the right kind of people the best trees were quicly located.
The best place, as i was told by an elderly neighbor of mine ( who does, in there infinite wisdom, know the local area like the back of there hand ) that the small woodland pictured above (about 5 miles from my house) was the place all the true scrumpers went for there apples! And so, on returning from work, i donned my battered old trainers, grabbed an old satchel and set off....



I was only slightly concerned, when we had obviously gone off a public foot path, but was none the less detered from my mission. The was i figured it, was if an old and partially disabled person went onto someones land to 'aquire' apples, then so could I, and have a much larger chance of escape if found out. Eventually after alot of wandering around, we found the trees, and faced a new challenge, how to get the apples down...


...After reaching and jumping, we harvested only a few fully ripe apples, so i decided to climb up. Not really my wisest plan, as the branches were really close together, and not quite strong enough to hold me.To add to all that, the wind picked up, and i am terrified of hights....




...but with 9 and a half kilos of apples in the bag, it had obviously paid off. Walking back to that car i realized the real dilema......what does one do with nearly 10 Kg's of Apples.....??

No comments:

Post a Comment